Maunsell designed these 8 plank open wagons based on LSWR wagons which had similar cupboard doors above the normal side door. The 10ft wheelbase ones represented by this kit were built 1936-7. Most were unfitted, the few fitted ones had sheet rails (these can fabricated from wire and plastic card). In the late 1950s British Railways fitted many with vacuum brakes, and added tiebars. They lasted in revenue service well into the 1960s, the last being withdrawn in 1970. Though classified as goods wagons, the SR used some of them for coal traffic, particularly in Kent.