Kit No. 1: BR Hopper Wagon HJO/HJV (NGSK0010) (era 4-7) (decals=y)
This plastic kit was the Society’s first venture. Although simple to assemble, it is not of the high quality of subsequent models. That said it is highly distinctive and will add much to the variation of your goods trains. It is a direct fit on to the supplied Peco 10ft steel solebar chassis.
Kit No. 2: GWR/BR Mink ‘C’ Van (NGSK0020) (era 2-5) (decals=t/f)
This kit, also produced in plastic, was different from all ready-to-run vans on the market at the time, as it features a 12ft wheelbase chassis and is a much longer vehicle. It is designed to fit the redesigned Parkside Dundas chassis supplied, and although both body and chassis must be assembled, it is still a relatively easy model to construct.
Kit No. 3: MR/LMS/BR Outside Framed Van (NGSK0030) (era 2-4) (decals=t/f)
This plastic kit was introduced because of the distinctive outside framework (never offered in a kit before) and its long life in use on the railway. Assembly is straight forward, although minor modification is required to the Peco 10ft wheelbase wooden solebar chassis (included).
Kit No. 4: SR/BR ‘Sealion’ Bogie Ballast Hopper (NGSK0040) (era 6-9)
(Discontinued) This kit was the Society’s first venture into the realms of etched brass, and was considered suitable only for the serious enthusiast. In 2013 it was announced that it would be discontinued once any remaining stocks had been sold. (See kit 11).
Kit No. 5: SR/BR ‘Queen Mary’ Bogie Brake Van (NGSK0050) (era 3-9)
(Discontinued) Introduced at almost the same time as NGK004, this model was also mainly in etched brass, but with the addition of a plastic roof and bogies, and was also considered a kit only for the serious enthusiast. In 2013 it was announced that it would be discontinued once any remaining stocks had been sold. (See RTR 44).
Kit No. 6: GWR/BR ‘Loriot’ 4-wheel Wagon (NGSK0060) (era 2-5) (decals=t/f)
Introduction of this model saw a return to plastic for its construction, and it is therefore simple to assemble. It is an ideal wagon to carry interesting loads. Note that the prototype was literally unique – only one was made!
Kit No. 7: LMS 16t & 20t Goods Brake Vans (NGSK0070) (era 3-9)
(Discontinued) Despite the fact that at the time there were a number of brake vans in LMS livery already produced in ready-to-run form, none were accurate. The Society sought to rectify this situation with the introduction of this twin pack kit, containing all parts to build one of each van type. Produced in etched brass, with ready-to-run plastic chassis, as with kits 4 and 5 it was considered suitable only for the serious modeller. In 2013 it was announced that it would be discontinued once any remaining stocks had been sold. (RTR versions since produced by Bachmann-Farish).
Kit No. 8: LMS/BR Bogie Bolster D (NGSK0080) (era 4-8)
The introduction of this kit saw the Society score another first, as this was the first bogie bolster wagon to be produced in N Gauge. Provided with ready-to-run Graham Farish bogies, the model is impressive to look at, and surprisingly simple to build.
Kit No. 9a: BR Polybulk Grainflow Hopper (NGSK0090) (era 8-9) (decals=y)
Encouraged by our success, we really pushed the boat out with this kit. Plastic mouldings are provided for the main body parts and Society one-piece bogies are included. Very fine brass etchings are also provided for delicate items like handrails etc. But most interesting of all is the full colour bodyside overlays containing the Polybulk logo and all other lettering. Painting is therefore limited to the basic body colour and touching in buffer heads etc. It should be stressed that this is a complex kit, and should not be tried as a first experience of wagon building.
Kit No. 9b: BR Polybulk Distillers Hopper (NGSK0091) (era 8-9) (decals=y)
Following the original ‘Grainflow’ version, this variant includes two printed sets of sides, one each of Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd and Distillers Company Cereals Ltd.
Kit No. 10: GWR/BR Mica Van A or B (NGSK0100) (era 2-4) (decals=p)
Having produced a complex model in the Polybulk we next turned to a user friendly all plastic kit, and chose to produce the Great Western Mica Van, its white livery and different shape fitting our goal of adding variety to members’ stock. Assembly is perfectly straight forward, although the Peco 10ft steel chassis supplied does require slight modification. The Mica B version does have complex handrails giving access to the roof hatches at both ends, but notes and drawings are provided on how they must be shaped and fitted.
Kit No. 11: BR ‘Seacow’ Bogie Ballast Hopper (NGSK0110) (era 7-9) (decals=y)
It was clear from the high level of sales of the Sealion ballast hopper (Kit No. 4) that it was a much needed model. However, it was also clear that some members found it difficult to build. The Society therefore decided to produce a part plastic, part etched model of the later Seacow version of this wagon type. The result is a near perfect replica of the prototype, much easier to build and stronger. However, because of the high level of detail this is still a model for the serious enthusiast, although some modellers are quite happy to run their model minus most of the etchings. The choice is yours!
Kit No. 12a: BR BDA Bogie Bolster (NGSK0120) (era 7-9) (decals=y)
Again produced at the request of members, this plastic kit represents a more modern version of Kit No. 8. Society one-piece BR Y25C bogies are provided and this is an easy model to assemble.
Kit Nos.12b/c: BR BDV/BDW Bogie Bolster (NGSK0121 & 0122) (era 5-9) (decals=y)
In 1958/9 a batch of 200 bogie bolster wagons were built with Davis and Lloyd 3-part bogies. Kit 12b is supplied with our Gloucester bogies (which are visuallyalmost identical to the prototype versions) and a new decal sheet. Kit 12c represents a further variant which ran on, and is therefore supplied with, Plateback bogies.
Kit No. 13: GWR/BR Iron Mink/Gunpowder Van (NGSK0130) (era 2-6) (decals=t/f)
This was the first kit in our range to make use of the then newly introduced Peco 9ft wheelbase steel chassis. It has been cleverly designed to enable either representation of the famous Great Western iron bodied general merchandise van or the equally famous Gunpowder van built and used not only by the GWR, but many other companies too. Produced in plastic, this is a very simple kit to build, though very minor modification is required to some of the chassis parts.
Kit No. 14: LNER/BR 8-plank Mineral Wagon (NGSK0140) (era 3-5) (decals=MM)
This is possibly the easiest to assemble kit that the Society has so far produced. Simple to assemble it may be, but this has not meant any compromises, and the kit will build into a fine representation of the prototype.
Kit No. 15: BR ‘Trestrol’ Bogie Well Wagon (NGSK0150) (era 4-6) (decals=t/f)
Yet another first for the Society, the Trestrol was chosen deliberately because it is amongst the longest of a number of similar wagons, and therefore suitable for conversion. Because of its alternative uses, it is supplied without trestles which are available separately as a simple fold up etch. The main components are plastic and the kit is supplied with ready-to-run Graham Farish bogies making assembly very straight forward indeed. However, due to the delicacy of some of the parts you may consider something a little simpler as a ‘lead in’ before attempting this model.
Kit No. 16: BR 21t Hopper Wagon HTO/HTV (NGSK0160) (era 4-7) (decals=p)
Continuing our policy of only producing those wagons which were not readily available on the ready-to-run market, this kit features an all plastic body which fits onto the re-designed Parkside Dundas 12ft wheelbase chassis. To enhance this kit, etched brass handrails etc. are available at a small additional cost. Assembly is straight forward though some care is necessary, making this a kit for the more advanced modeller.
Kits Nos.17a,b,c: BR ‘Cartic 4’ Car Carrier (NGSK0170,0172,0173) (era 5-9) (decals=y)
This kit was developed to represent three distinct periods of the life of the prototype vehicles (a) as built, (b) with protective mesh side screens, and (c) with plated protective side screens and roof. As the set contains four articulated wagons, it is complicated to build, but the final result is well worth the effort.
Kit No. 18: LMS/BR 12t Box Vans (NGSK0180) (era 3-6) (decals=t/f)
As with the LMS Guards Vans (Kit No. 7), at the time none of the ready-to-run vans carrying LMS livery were very accurate. With the introduction of these kits, the Society corrected the situation. Each kit will allow the construction of one 9ft wheelbase and one 10ft wheelbase van, correct chassis being supplied. The 9ft version is provided with two types of end so it may be built as a ventilated or unventilated vehicle. This kit is again produced in plastic and assembly is straight forward, with only minor modification required to each chassis type before fitting to the respective body.
Kit No. 19: BR 21t Mineral Wagon (NGSK0190) (era 4-7) (decals=p)
This kit was not originally produced by the Society, but was purchased to prevent its loss to the hobby. It was originally produced at about the same time as our Kit No. 1 and is not therefore quite up to the high standard we now take for granted. However, with just a little extra care and use of the redesigned Parkside Dundas 12ft wheelbase chassis supplied, this kit builds into a very acceptable model of the prototype.
Kit No. 20: BR ‘Anhydrite’ Hopper (NGSK0200) (era 4-7) (decals=MM)
This kit started life as a private project, funded by a number of Society members who subsequently donated the mould tool to the Society. Each kit comes complete with a Peco 10ft wheelbase steel solebar type chassis, ensuring a smooth running model.
Kit No. 21: SR/BR 12t Box Vans (NGSK0210) (era 3-5) (decals=MM)
With the introduction of these kits, the Society produced the first correctly profiled elliptical roof of the distinctive original Southern design. Sufficient parts are included in each kit to allow the construction of three different bodies, equal width planking on both ends and sides, unequal width planking on both ends and sides and plywood sides and ends. In the interest of cost, only two Peco 10ft wheelbase, steel solebar chassis are included in the kit, a third being available from the Society shop at a small additional cost. This kit again is produced in plastic and assembly is straightforward. Minor modification is required to the chassis before fitting to respective bodies, but this should be well within the average modeller’s capabilities.
Kit No. 22: BR ‘Shark’ Ballast Plough Brake (NGSK0220) (era 4-9) (decals=MM)
These brake vans, vital to the end of any permanent way ballast train, in addition to their usual job of supplying additional braking for their train, could also spread the ballast discharged from the wagons by the use of special ploughs mounted underneath the veranda ends. Whilst there was interest in such a wagon in model form, it was not considered sufficient to warrant a full blown Society project. However, a group of Society members decided to launch a second private project to produce this model themselves and, again, then donated the tooling to the Society, thus introducing this kit to the range. The main kit parts for the body are produced in plastic with white metal castings for the ploughs and brass etches for the plough shields and operating handwheels. Assembly is therefore relatively straightforward though some quite extensive modification is required to the Peco guards van chassis provided. This kit must therefore be considered only suitable for those with some experience in wagon kit construction.
Kit No. 23: RCH/LMS 12t Open Wagon (NGSK0230) (era 3-6) (decals=MM)
The prototype for this model was a wagon built in its thousands to a standard design of the RCH (Railway Clearing House) for use by the many private traders of the time. Obviously “many traders” means many liveries, and this kit is therefore the perfect model for carrying these, often very colourful, liveries. The kit is of all plastic construction and is designed to be a direct fit on to the Peco 9ft wheelbase chassis provided. It is therefore eminently suitable for newcomers to model wagon construction. Alternative fixed ends are included in the kit to enable the model to represent either an “as built” wagon, or as later modified by British Railways. Replicating those “colourful” private owner liveries is not a simple task, so the Society has commissioned ModelMaster Decals to produce a series of complete bodyside transfers of various private traders’ liveries. At the time of writing there are 26 different sides available. (MMT427-542)
Kit No. 24: BR Standard Horsebox (NGSK0240) (era 4-5) (decals=y)
Following the 1948 nationalisation, the fledgling British Railways inherited large numbers of horseboxes of various designs, many dating from the pre-grouping period. To replace them, at first BR built horseboxes to existing LMS or LNER drawings, but by the mid 1950s the decision was taken to produce a totally new vehicle, based on Mk.1 carriages then on the drawing board. In all, 115 BR Mk.1 Standard Horseboxes were built in 1957 and 1958. No model of this type of vehicle having ever been available in N Gauge, the Society decided to produce this model as a memorial to the late Andrew Calvert, our former Wagon Projects Officer, who passed away in November 2002. Ben Ando, our new Wagon Projects Officer, took command of this production and, a year after Andy’s death, launched the model at Warley National Exhibition 2003. Full colour instructions and transfers are included in this all plastic kit, giving it a distinctive style. Because of the number of parts in this kit it should be considered a model for those with some previous experience in building model wagon kits.
Kit No. 25: BR 16t Mineral Wagon (NGSK0250) (era 7-8) (decals=y)
(Discontinued) 394 of these wagons were built to diagram 1/194 between 1975 and 1978 on redundant underframes from Palbrick wagons. They lasted until withdrawal of vacuum braked wagons in the 1990s. All were painted bauxite, were numbered in the series B596000-393, and coded COAL 16VB. Some were later transferred to departmental use and given TOPS codes MCV, MXV and ZHV. In departmental use, white squares were often painted on the sides. Because the underframes varied, some of the wagons had 4 brake shoes and others 8. This kit features a resin wagon body and a Peco 10ft steel solebar wagon chassis kit, enabling the modeller to depict the 4-shoe variant. Transfers are included. This is a simple kit and ideal for the first time modeller to attempt. Late in 2013 it was brought to the attention of the Society’s Committee that to produce further resin bodies, a new moulding tool would be required. Since several kit and/or r-t-r versions of this wagon or similar are now produced by various manufacturers and suppliers, it was decided that the investment required could be put to better use elsewhere and the decision was taken to discontinue this item.
Kit No. 26: GWR Planked, Plywood & MOGO Vans (NGSK0260) (era 3-6) (decals=y)
From 1933 the GWR built more than 6000 ventilated vans with planked sides to designs V23 (fitted) and V24/34 (unfitted). A further 266 were built as PARTO vans to design V26, these having internal partitions to protect loads (e.g. biscuits) from being damaged during shunting. The GWR built 800 ventilated vans with plywood sides to design V36 (fitted) and V37 (unfitted) before nationalisation, with BR adding a further 330 following nationalisation. In 1935 the GWR built 350 MOGO (Motorcar Goods) wagons to design G31. These vehicles were almost identical to design V23 vans, except that they had doors built in the ends to facilitate loading of motor cars. In 1947 a further 100 were built with plywood sides to a design G43, but these had planked ends. In service, unfitted vans were always common user (i.e shared between companies), with the fitted vans becoming common user from 1939. MOGOs do not appear to have ever been common user vehicles and were used mainly for sending new vehicles from factories to distributors, these being replaced by Carflats in the 1960s. This is an all plastic kit and features two different pairs of sides and three different pairs of ends, thus enabling models of any two of the prototypes to be built. Two Peco 10ft wheelbase steel solebar chassis are included in the kit as are suitable transfers. Because of the number of parts, this kit is considered a model for those with some previous kit building experience.
Kit No. 27a: BR ‘Salmon’ Engineers Wagon (NGSK0270) (era 4-9) (decals=y)
Based on an earlier LMS design, the first BR Salmon track carrying wagons emerged from Derby works in 1949 and over the next 11 years hundreds were built to a variety of very similar drawings. The wagons are 62’ long, and as well as carrying loads of sleepers or lengths of rail, are designed to carry track panels in completed 60’ lengths. There are detailed rules governing the loading of Salmons. For track panels, when wooden sleepers are used, up to six can be loaded per wagon, while for concrete sleepers the maximum is five. Rail should be loaded on bolstered wagons and up to 27 lengths can be carried, loaded in pyramid fashion (ie 10, 9, 8). Although originally unfitted (YMO) or fitted with a through vacuum pipe (YMP), in later years the wagons were fitted with air brakes (YMA/YMB). Some were also fitted with cranes and, in some instances, roofs (YFA/YWA). This kit includes a plastic body, etched brass details, one piece plastic 8’ Plateback bogies, and transfers. Also available is a crane detailing kit containing a pair of cast resin cranes along with other details. The basic kit is fairly simple to assemble, although the addition of the detailing kit makes it more suitable for a modeller with a little more experience.
Kit No. 27b: YSA/YWA ‘Salmon’ post-1998 (NGSK0271) (era 9) (decals=y)
In 1998, a program to fit more modern bogies to the Salmons began in an effort to improve their reliability and enable faster running. The ASF bogies used look very similar to our Gloucester bogies which are supplied with this kit, together with a new decal sheet and reworked etched detailing parts.
Kit No. 28: RMC JGA Bogie Hopper (NGSK0280) (era 8-9) (decals=y)
13 wagons were built in 1984 to code JG009A for Hall Aggregates, and were used to carry sea-dredged gravel from Newhaven to Crawley and Tolworth. In 1986 a further 24 wagons were built to code JG009B for RMC, which operated on flows nationwide from their base at Peak Forest. In 1996, when the Newhaven traffic ended, the former Hall wagons were brought into the RMC pool at Peak Forest and were modified, refurbished and repainted. Now all 37 wagons are used with other RMC hoppers across the network. This injection moulded kit, with etched brass details and one piece bogies, will build any of the three variants, suitable transfers for each being included. The model is self coloured in orange, and the white stripe is a transfer or can be painted. Otherwise only the brass details, the solebar and the interior require painting.
Kit No. 29: 7-plank Private Owner (Bassil King) (NGSK0290) (era 2-3) (decals=y)
This beginner’s kit utilises Peco’s 10ft chassis, transfers by Robbie Burns, and coal load by Ten Commandments. The kit commemorates the life of the late Yvonne Shillabeer, who encouraged beginners with a series of articles in the Society journal about the building of her layout ‘Sough Lea’. A minimum donation of £1 per kit sold is given to the British Heart Foundation.
Kit No. 30: Gresley D113 Full Brake (NGSK0300) (era 4-7) (decals=y)
The Gresley full brakes were introduced in 1924; some survived in revenue use well into the 1970s, a few even longer in internal use, and a number have been preserved. These vehicles were seen all over the country, especially in BR days, and a number were built or converted for racing pigeon traffic. The chosen model represents later coaches with angle iron trussing and 8ft heavyweight Gresley bogies. The diagrams represented are D113 (last 3 only, built 1934), D245 (with racks for pigeons, built 1940/43), and D260 (same as last 3 of D113, built 1938/40/43).
Kit No. 31: BR Weltrol (NGSK0310) (era 5-9) (decals=y)
Many different types were built, mainly in the 1950s, but, as they were lightly used, they lasted a long time, with a few still in service in internal use. There were 22 diagrams for different lengths and loads covering a total of 107 wagons, though some differed only in brake or bearing type. The chosen Weltrol MC prototype was one of the more common, with 22 built. It was based on an earlier LMS design and is one of the shorter ones with a square-shaped well. Unlike many other Weltrols, the floor was load bearing so it could carry vehicles, which is one reason for its popularity as a departmental wagon. The kit includes Society 5’6” Plateback bogies (but does not include the crated load shown in the picture, which is available separately from the Society Shop – code NGSK0311).
Kit No. 32: GWR Macaw B (NGSK0320) (era 3-5) (decals=y)
(Previously kit 32c. See also kits 52 & 53). This kit represents a departure from normal practice for the Society in that the wagon body is made from laser cut wood, with a brass etch to provide brake detail. It runs on the Society’s own plateback bogies. The prototype was produced in substantial numbers by the GWR, and inherited by BR.
Kit No. 33: Railtrack PNA Wagon (NGSK0330) (era 9) (decals=y)
In the late 1990s Railtrack converted 250 former tank wagons into PNA open spoil carriers. 44 of them used Gloucester pedestal suspension. Of these, 22 were fitted with evenly spaced bodyside ribs, while the other 22 had a larger gap between the ribs above each axlebox. The kit is a twin pack, enabling one of each variant to be built, with self coloured green body mouldings, one piece black chassis, wheels, couplers and transfers. The picture shows weathered versions of completed models. The evenly ribbed vehicle is also available separately (NGSK0331).
RTR No. 34: LMS ‘Stove R’ 6-wheeled Brake(NGSR0340-0349) (era 3-6)
120 of these brake vans were built by the LMS between 1932 and 1940. They resembled Stanier passenger coaches of the period, including having corridor connectors. The name “Stove R” came about because they were fitted with stoves during the war, for when they were attached to trains without steam heating. They were some of the last 6 wheeled vehicles running on BR, lasting until the end of the 70s in revenue service and seen all over the network, though not allowed in passenger trains after 1959. Some remained in departmental service until the mid-80s. The picture shows the van in BR Crimson livery.
NGSR0346 6-wheeled chassis only
Scratch-builders and kit bashers can take advantage of the 6-wheeled chassis developed for this exclusive model, as we have supplies of the chassis as a separate RTR unit.
Kit No. 35: KPA Hopper, JJA/HQA Autoballaster (NGSK0350-0353) (era 8-9) (decals=y)
In 1988, 50 hoppers (originally coded PIA, then KPA) were built for Tiphook Rail in response to growth in the construction industry. They saw service around the network with Tarmac, RMC and Foster Yeoman, among others. In the mid 1990’s, prototype discharge gear was fitted to enable them to operate in five-vehicle sets as Autoballasters, in place of ageing Seacow and Dogfish wagons. The success of the project saw further conversions, and the purchase by Railtrack and subsequently Network Rail of considerable numbers of new wagons to an almost identical design. This kit comes in the following four versions:
|• Tiphook PIA/KPA Aggregate Hopper Wagon||(NGSK0350) (model and picture by Steve Bateman)|
|• Railtrack JJA Autoballaster (converted from KPA)||(NGSK0351)|
|• Railtrack HQA Autoballaster (new build)||(NGSK0352) (model and picture by Grahame Hedges)|
|• Network Rail HQA Autoballaster (new build)||(NGSK0353)|
Kit No. 36: BR Shock Wagons – Open & Van (NGSK0360) (era 4-7) (decals=y)
Shock absorbing wagons were first built by the pre-nationalisation railway companies and British Railways continued to build them to its own designs, as represented by this kit. Certain fragile goods such as glass and bricks were susceptible to damage during shunting. The wagon body was connected to the chassis by means of springs on the outside of the solebars, thus absorbing more of the ‘shock’ of rough shunting than just the buffers. The distinctive white stripes on the sides and ends were to indicate to shunters that the wagons were shock absorbing, presumably so that they were handled with greater care. BR used both plywood and planking for the van sides, so both these types are catered for with alternative sides to make either one or the other. Shown are both Van variants and the Open (models and picture by Richard Bardsley).
Kit No. 37: TTA Chemical Tanker (NGSK0370) (era 7-9) (decals=y)
In 1967/8, Charles Roberts Ltd built a batch of chemical tankers for Tank Rentals Ltd, with a through vacuum pipe, to TOPS code TTB. They were later refurbished and reclassified TTA. Both ICI Mond and Associated Octel used them to transport liquid chlorine. These tankers were built with smaller diameter barrels than the more common petrochemical tankers of the same TOPS code, and were painted white with an orange band to denote their hazardous contents.
This kit is based around a Farish TTA wagon, which is used as a chassis donor. A moulded brick bund wall is included, which allows the unused tank to be used for a static depot fuel tank as a scenic accessory. The body is moulded in self-coloured plastic so that minimal painting is required. Etched brass accessories are included. A comprehensive sheet of decals is included covering early and late ICI chlorine, Associated Octel and Hays chlorine, ICI sodium hypochlorite and caustic soda, plus two other variants for sulphuric acid and molasses.
Kit No. 38: BR Borail (NGSK0380) (era 5-7) (decals=y)
The Society has acquired Parkwood Models’ kits, and this is an upgraded re-release of one of them, with NGS 8ft plateback bogies included, together with decals and detailing. It will build into a Borail EB or Borail MB, or, if the bolsters are omitted, a Borail EC.
Kit No. 39: BR Mullet (NGSK0390) (era 7-9) (decals=y)
In the late 1970s, most of the Borails (see NGK038) were rebuilt and named Mullets. This ex-Parkwood kit is supplied with NGS Y25 bogies, decals and additional detailing.
RTR No. 40: Ferrywagon ‘Taunton Cider’ (NGSR0040) (era 7-8) RTR No. 41: Ferrywagon ‘Cargowaggon’ (NGSR0041) (era 8-9)
To commemorate its 40th Anniversary, the Society commissioned Dapol to produce their Habfis wagon in two different prototypical limited edition liveries, Taunton and Cargowaggon.
RTR No. 42: BR Independent Snowplough (NGSR0421-0430) (era 5-9)
These snowploughs were based on earlier designs built on redundant steam locomotive tenders, and were introduced across Britain from the mid 1960s. Most are still in service with Network Rail. For much of the year they are kept in pairs in sidings or depots. In use, or for positioning/maintenance moves, they are coupled either end of a locomotive (or nowadays, a pair of locomotives). The snowploughs have carried numerous liveries over their operational lives, including plain black, black with hazard stripes, BR blue, Railfreight three-tone grey, Railtrack and Network Rail, all of which are represented in this project.
Kit No. 43: BR ‘Osprey’ Track Panel Wagon (NGSK0430) (era 9) (decals=y)
In 2009 some Salmons (see NGK027a and 027b) were fitted with large, fixed frames at each end and off-centre stanchions. These enable standard track panels to be quickly loaded during time-critical possessions and the solid frames trap the track in place, negating the need for time-consuming bolster adjustment and strapping-down. The model features new decals and etches, and cast detailing parts.
RTR No. 44: SR/BR ‘Queen Mary’ Brake Van (NGSR0441-0446) (era 3-9)
Built by the Southern Railway in 1936, these iconic and attractive vehicles were designed for express trains. Popular with guards due to their ride quality, after nationalisation they were used across Britain and some lasted until 2005 with EWS. Several have been preserved on heritage railways. The nickname ‘Queen Mary’ is said to be an allusion to their palatial style compared with normal brake vans and an obvious reference to the liner of the same name! This model is produced for the Society by Bachmann, which already produces the well-regarded OO version, and incorporates numerous features including separate detailing parts. The tooling enables us to depict wagons with plated or planked sides, and with or without end sand boxes, and the model is available in several different liveries.
RTR No. 45: LMS/BR 50ft Inspection Saloon (NGSR0451-0458) (era 3-9)
During the 1940s the LMS constructed several 50′ saloons to enable senior managers, engineers, and guests of the railway, the opportunity to inspect the line in style. To celebrate its 45th anniversary, the N Gauge Society produced a 1:148 scale model of these iconic and attractive vehicles. It was our most ambitious ready-to-run item yet and as Inspection Saloons were often towed or propelled on their own, it offers members a complete train in one box! Our model is manufactured by Graham Farish/Bachmann, and features separate flush glazing, a fully detailed interior, and NEM couplers on close-coupling mounts. There are numerous extra detail parts including air horns (where appropriate) and steam or diesel era tail-lamp. The eight liveries originally on offer were carefully selected to reflect the long, distinguished and colourful lives of the LMS Inspection Saloons from their introduction to the present day.
Kit No. 46: Bobol E/YCV Turbot (NGSK0460) (era 5-7,7-9) (decals=y)
In 1961 BR built the short Bogie Bolster E fleet to diagram 1/479 as replacements for the TWIN CASE (linked bolster wagons) and HYTWIN (modified wooden 13T wagons). It has been suggested that they struggled to find full employment from the beginning, with conversions starting almost immediately. They were used extensively on trains from South Wales to carry steel billets, which were shorter than the normal steel and rod traffic, and thus they were ideal for this traffic. During the late 1970s, the steel traffic for which the Bogie Bolster E was built was in decline, so in the early 1980s BR embarked on a programme of converting them to 34T ballast/spoil wagons with the ‘fish kind’ name ‘Turbot’, TOPS code YCV, with over one thousand being so treated. This is an ‘either/or’ plastic kit which builds into either wagon using the same floor moulding and Society Gloucester bogies.
Kit No. 47: BR (ex LMS/LNER) Highfits (NGSK0470) (era 4-7) (decals=y)
This kit will make two wagons – a BR (ex-LMS) Highfit open wagon with planked sides and corrugated ends and a BR (ex-LNER) all steel Highfit. The basic 5 plank open goods wagon was built in large numbers by all railway companies prior to the 1923 grouping, by the big four themselves after this date, and it continued with British Railways after nationalisation.
The wooden ends were susceptible to damage from heavy loads moving during shunting so in 1946 the LMS changed to wood lined corrugated steel ends which they had tried on a few experimental wagons in 1933. The LNER’s answer in 1945 was an all steel body (albeit still with a wooden floor). Both designs were initially manufactured without vacuum brakes, but as British Railways continued making them to more or less the same design, they started to introduce vacuum brakes, and retrospectively started fitting them to the early builds. Some of the robust LNER wagons even survived long enough to be converted to air brakes.
The decal sheet includes transfers for pre-nationalisation, British Railways, BR (TOPS) and the final use of these wagons in engineering service. Both kits are a reissue from the former Parkwood Models range that was acquired by the Society.
Kit No. 48: LMS/GWR Open Wagon (NGK0480) (era 3-7) (decals=y)
This twinpack kit is provided with two Peco 10’ chassis, and transfers that cover GWR, LMS (pre and post 1935 style), BR fitted and unfitted, later BR markings with boxed numbers, and a selection of departmental markings. It makes a pair of similar 5 plank open wagons with wooden ends as well as sides, LMS design 1892 and GWR diagram O32. They are 5 ½ standard 7” planks high: to give the extra height the next to bottom plank on the GWR wagons is 11” deep, and on the LMS the top and bottom planks are 9” – this is the only real difference between the two. Both feature the ‘barrow plank’, in which the bottom plank of the door is angled out to make it easier to wheel barrows in and out.
This wagon was the commonest type on BR after mineral wagons. In all nearly 40,000 all-wood opens were built from 1933 to 1950. They were used for goods of all kinds – crates, sacks, planks, barrels, drums, castings, boxes, vegetables – but never coal or other mineral traffic. They frequently had tarpaulins (sheets) over them to protect the load. They are under-represented on most steam era layouts, as until the end of steam they were more common than 12T vans. In 1967 many were reallocated to china clay traffic. Some wagons lasted into the late 70s in revenue use, and they were popular departmental wagons.
Kit No. 49: WD Warflat (NGSK0490) (era 3-7) (decals=y)
Ex Parkwood Models kit depicting fishbelly warflat design used from WW2 to mid 1970s. Supplied with decals and diamond frame bogies.
Kit No. 50a: WD Warwell (NGSK0500) (era 3-7) (decals=y)
Ex Parkwood Models kit representing type used from WW2 to late 1970s. The kit is supplied with decals and diamond frame bogies.
Kit No. 50b: Warwell (post 1976) (NGSK0501) (era 7-9) (decals=y)
In the late 1970s these wagons were all re-bogied and refurbished. The kit includes decals and Gloucester GP22.5 bogies.
Kit No. 51: GWR P19/BR ‘Rudd’ Ballast Wagon (NGSK0510) (era 3-7,8-9) (decals=y)
Ex Mill Lane Sidings ‘Grampus’ kit with alternative ends to enable either the GWR P19 wagon or the BR Rudd (or Ling or Tunny) wagon to be built.
Kit No. 52: Macaw C/Borail C (NGSK0520) (era 3-7) (decals=y)
(Previously kits 32a & 32b). Laser cut wood kit includes brass etches and 5ft 6in plateback bogies. The prototype was a 70ft long wagon originally built by the GWR.
Kit No. 53: Gane A/Macaw J/Borail F (NGSK0530) (era 8-9) (decals=y)
Diagram pending availability of kit picture
(Previously kits 32e & 32d). Laser cut wood kit includes brass etches and 5ft 6in plateback bogies. The prototype was a 70ft long wagon originally built by the GWR.
Kit No. 54a: KSA Rover ‘Cube’ Wagon (NGSK0540) (era 9) (decals=y)
First test build The prototype wagons were manufactured by Rautaruukki of Finland in 1995 for the Rover car company for the secure transportation of car components between plants. In more recent years, they have been used in partnership by DRS and logistics firm W H Malcolm on Anglo-Scottish freight services and two were repainted to reflect this. The kit includes one-piece injection moulded bogies, etched detail parts and decals.
Kit No. 54b: KSA NACCO Timber Wagon (NGSK0541) (era 9) (decals=y)
In 2011, a batch of KSAs was acquired by wagon leasing firm Nacco and converted for use as timber carriers; this involved replacing the sliding hoods with heavy-duty stanchions. The wagons have been repainted and are now in service with Colas on timber traffic from Cornwall, South Wales and the North to a paper and board factory at Chirk. This kit also includes a set of injection moulded stanchions.
RTR No. 55: GWR Collett BG (NGSR0551-0558) (era 3-8)
The Collett K41/K42 BGs were introduced by the GWR in the 1930s and lasted into the 1990s in Departmental use. During their long lives they carried GWR pre- and post-war chocolate and cream and plain brown, British Railways crimson, crimson and cream and maroon and BR Blue. They also found their way into departmental use, in the Old Oak Common breakdown train, in the Fisons’ weedkiller train, and in Enparts services. Our model is manufactured by Dapol, and features separate flush glazing, NEM couplers on close-coupling mounts, wire handrails and numerous extra detail parts – including vacuum cylinders, brake gear and underframe components. The liveries have been selected to reflect the attractive lines and long lives of these stylish vehicles.
RTR No. 56: Thompson BG (NGSR0561-0566) (era 3-7)
In 1947 the LNER built three (10-12) steel-sided 63′ gangwayed brake coaches to Diagram 344 to carry luggage on the Flying Scotsman and other crack East Coast expresses. The following year, 7 more were built (13-19), and in 1950 a further 15 (141/3-6, 53-7, 159-63)), making a total of 25. During the late 1960s they were cascaded into parcels and departmental service, straying far from the Eastern Region, before withdrawal in the late 1970s. At least one has survived into preservation.
Our model is manufactured by Bachmann (Graham Farish) and features flush glazing, NEM couplers on close-coupling mounts, wire handrails and numerous extra detail parts – including vacuum cylinders, brake gear and underframe components. The liveries on offer have been selected to reflect the attractive lines and long lives of these stylish vehicles.
Up-to-date kit and r-t-r prices can be found in the NGS online Shop.