Exclusive Peco Wagons to Celebrate Society’s 50th Anniversary
One of the ways that the N Gauge Society has been celebrating its 50th anniversary has been to team up with Peco to produce a selection of exclusive wagons from their well-established range.
The 50th anniversary marks a significant milestone for the Society and for N Gauge itself. Few can deny that without the product support from Peco over most of that time, N Gauge (and the Society) would not be where it is today. Peco’s founder Sydney Pritchard was member number 2 of the Society, a membership number that is still held by Peco to this day.
The Society has made a varied selection of interesting wagons to hopefully cater for most members. While they are all equally appealing, pride of place perhaps goes to the 7 plank coal wagon for G Simmons, as the eagle-eyed will note that it is number 50. The prototype was a GER registered 1909 built 7 plank wagon without end-doors, exactly as per the Peco wagon.
The all-steel Austin Motor Company wagon is well-suited to the Peco model, having side and end doors. Built in 1928 it is possible that they were only used internally, although they were registered by the LMS, and probably carried coal from North Staffordshire collieries to the Longbridge factory.
The Peco ‘salt’ wagon is very distinctive, and for a change, the livery of Tollemache is for the carriage of pulverised coal. This wagon has been produced in other scales but never in N Gauge. The prototype wagon was built in 1920 and converted for pulverised coal in 1926 (the addition of extra side planks and the roof).
The colourful liveries found on early tank wagons is illustrated with the model for Benzol & By-Products Limited using the smaller Peco tank wagon model. In 1920, three of these wagons were built numbered 1 to 3.
The larger cousin is the 15ft wheelbase tanker more appropriate to modern times, and the livery is no less interesting. The Shell Oils (lubricating oils) wagon was built in 1966 with later conversion to air-brakes and Bruninghaus suspension. The red/yellow kinked line used by Shell was introduced in the late 1980s and the wagon correctly carries the BR Petroleum Sub-Sector symbol.
The Society has produced 250 of each wagon, and although exclusive to the Society, these are not limited-edition wagons. If they prove to be popular with members then more can be ordered.