Thompson Full Brake (RTR6)
In 1947 the LNER built three (10-12) steel-sided 63′ gangwayed brake coaches to Diagram 344 to carry luggage on the Flying Scotsman and other crack East Coast expresses. The following year, 7 more were built (13-19), and in 1950 a further 10 (141/3-6, 53-7, 159-63)), making a total of 25. The first few were fitted with narrow rectangular windows, however corrosion issues led to later versions being built with rounded ends, and some of the earlier vehicles were similarly modified.
During the late 1960s they were cascaded into parcels and departmental service, straying far from the Eastern Region, before withdrawal in the late 1970s. At least one has survived into preservation.
Our model has been manufactured by Graham Farish and features flush glazing, NEM couplers on close-coupling mounts, wire handrails and numerous extra detail parts – including vacuum cylinders, brake gear and underframe components. The liveries on offer have been selected to reflect the attractive lines and long lives of these stylish vehicles. The images here are representative.
1) LNER simulated teak livery as applied to those built initially for express trains. When built these had solebar covers fitted (that were later removed). Unfortunately for cost reasons are not replicated.
2) BR Crimson and Cream. Some received this livery for running in crack express trains such as The Flying Scotsman.
3) Standard NPCCS livery for the early BR period was plain crimson.
4) From 1957 many were repainted into plain maroon (see 6 below), and most were subsequently lined.
5) From 1966 all those remaining were repainted into BR Blue. They lasted until the 1977.
6) BR Plain Maroon.
From December 2016 this model became available for purchase online at www.ngsjoin.com.